Thursday, February 21, 2013

Garden's in bloom!!!


I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.
Eleanor Roosevelt



What a perfect Rosette!




Happy to report my small little garden is sprouting colours, thanks to the continuous downpour peppered with clear skies.
I was always hesistant to grow roses because of their reputation of being high maintanace. Ventured cautiously and bought my first Rose bush. A very 'garden' sort of variety with tiny flat blossoms.




 They turned out to be quite hardy, much to my glee! What's better, they ever prune themselves! Once the flower dries out, it drops off as if by magic at the exact 3 leaf node! Im a happy camper!



Wild Petunia/ Mexican petunia (Ruellia simplex)- very hardy and self propogative too! The purple leaves in the background are Oxalis









Got this from a dumpster (!!) Picked up my neighbour's pruned Hibiscus from his dumpster on my way back from the beach. Its coming along very well :)



If you ever catch a black clad tall woman snooping around Singaporean dumpsters, you probably just ran into me !


Lovely pink Vinca- I love the hanging vines



My blue pea flowers (?) Love the velvety indigo and purple blooms


These vines have an interesting moniker- Lipstick vines!
Bunches of lovely tubes of red

Like mini Anacondas!



I think this is similar to 'powder puff' - Calliandra tergemina var. emarginata











Im still sourcing the names of these plants but what the heck is in a name? A rose is a rose is a...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful flowers and garden. Your lucky to have the hibiscus grown beautifully. I am always unlucky in propagating them..

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you !